Nov 11, 2012

Make up woes

The thing with make up is, it all looks really pretty. Gorgeous colours in pretty boxes, shimmering, making promises of making you look as gorgeous as they do. When I look at it, almost every colour, nay every shade of every colour seems like a must have.

The other thing about make up is that I don't really use much. When I think about it all I need are a few browns and pinks and may be a red. Seriously. That's it. I am a nudist when it comes to using make up. 

In the past week these two sides of me, the one that thinks every shade was made in heaven and the one that refuses to use anything but natural tones, have been quarrelling. I started out with a fairly large list of things to have and if I go ahead and purchase everything, it would burn quite a hole through my bank account.

I set about whittling it down to essentials, quite a task at first, but here's what I have at the end of it:

  1. Foundation - Lancome - Teint Idole - Already have (woohoo!)
  2. Compact - Body Shop - shade no. 04 - also already have (this is looking good suddenly).
  3. Mascara - L'Oreal absolut volume - Ordered online (about online deals in just a bit)
  4. Blush - Body Shop Shimmer - already have; L'Oreal Pink - ordered online
  5. Eyeshadow - Bobbi brown Bellini Eye and Lip Palette - To be ordered - A big thumbs up to Christmas deals in the US. Also to the uncanny ability of Indians to always know someone or the other coming to India from the US,
  6. Eyeshadow 2 - Shade quartet from Lakme
  7. Lipsticks - 2-3 shades - to be bought. 
  8. Eyeliners - Black, plum, blue - to be bought
  9. Kaajal - Already have
There you go. Everything I would actually use. The lesson I learnt is that you need to be harsh with yourself. You don't NEED everything that looks pretty. Also, it's better to go for quality rather than quantity. Especially with stuff like Make up. So I'd rather buy that one Palette from Bobbi Brown than a whole host of colours from a local brand.

The second thing I learnt this week is that if you know what you want, in terms of shades and brands, look online. There are some great deals out there!
  1. Holiday sales - this is especially useful if you have people in the US or Europe who can bring stuff with them for you. Trawl through the websites of the make up brands that you like and you are sure to hit upon a deal or two. Looking at large online retailers would also be a good idea.
  2. Signing up credits - the other thing I discovered thanks to Sparkle City a.k.a kitty kat is the world of signing up credits. Shopping portals such as Myntra or Jabong give you credits for signing up. And these can help you get a significant sum off on your bill (upto Rs. 500 per transaction).
  3. Store deals - visit the showrooms of leading brands in your city to find out if they have any deals for brides-to-be. You'll be surprised at how many of them have! M.A.C in Mumbai, for instance, will give you a make up for one of your pre wedding occasions and also allow you to buy products for Rs. 4200 - all for the princely sum of Rs. 4200!
Now that I know what all is out there, I feel more prepared to shop! I'll be sure to update this section as soon as I do begin the sprees.

Just waiting for Sparkle City to get back from her holiday! (I hate shopping alone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment